Career resources is a pretty broad topic. It can be a publication, a video, a brochure, a website, a newspaper, a book or a DVD. It can also include people who are helping you with your job search and career plan. Organizing career resources is a huge task to undertake by yourself, although not impossible. It’s important, though, to have an effective and efficient way of finding and organizing career resources for your job search. A person needs to have some skills in organization and gathering information.
You aren’t the only one who will be gathering resources for your career plan. Employers, supervisors, managers and human resources personnel also gather a lot of information about job searches and career planning. They will be gathering a lot of information about you as well if you have an interview with them.
So, the information you gather for your job search needs to help you in some way to make sense of the world of work. Counselling is a great asset to you. Sometimes, a person’s information is limited about the job world. They aren’t sure where to go to find the information, or if the information is reliable. Sometimes, people look at the world of work from their own communities or look at work choices from only the people they know. The idea of counselling is to broaden your world of job search.
Job ads in the paper are very limited. It is estimated that only about 15-20% of jobs are advertised in the paper. Counselling can help you find out where the other 80% of the jobs are.
If you choose to gather the information on your own; make sure your job search is well organized. If you are using paper format, set up charts with employers names, addresses, telephone numbers, etc. and make sure you have a column for follow up. You want to keep all the job ads you see in the paper. Cut them out and put them in a file for future reference. You want to keep a copy of all your resumes and cover letters for your job search. You want to make notes about your skills and training and keep them filed for interviews. Keeping track of all the information about your job search is vital to your success.
If you are choosing the internet to do your job search, the same applies to being organized. You can set up a database with all the employers’ names, addresses, etc for future use. When you are searching on the net for resources, set up a Job Search folder in your favourites. Because there is so much information on the internet, it may be hard to find the site again. If you use some of the larger websites for job search, you can organize your resumes, contacts and cover letters in the site’s folders. They are very helpful with this. However, it is you who needs to keep it organized.
The work world is rapidly changing place with information ‘overload.’ Being organized is key to success. If you have a friend or family member who is really organized, that is another option to help you out. Or you can rely on a counselling process with an expert who will help you keep organized and help you with the decision making process you need to have a successful job search.
More information: email@example.com